Monday 4 March 2013

Jack's Top Tracks - March 04 2013 - the best electroswing on the web

My word doesn't Monday come around quickly? And you know what Monday means. That's right, five more stompin', swingin' tunes for you to wiggle your bottom to as you cook your supper. Aren't you lucky?


Old

Alice Francis - St James Ballroom

I like to start each of these round-ups with a video, so that you have something nice to look at on a Monday. It has to be said that Ms. Francis here is very nice to look at. More importantly, she makes some great electroswing. Hailing from Germany, this young lady and her band are extremely popular on the continent but are rarely seen here in the UK. I have chosen to include her in this week's selection - first, as she will be shortly releasing a single with the legendaty Grant Lazlo, and secondly because she will be supporting Caravan Palace at the Shepherds Bush Empire in May. Find out more about her and check out more of her music on her website.




New

Jamie Berry - Frankie Valli vs. De Contrabande - Eyes off You (Jamie Berry Mashup)

I had wanted to include this one in last week's selection, and was hoping I might be able to share the full track with you. Jamie kindly sent me the full version but I am too technologically incompetent to work out how to share it with you. Any road, I think this might be the funniest build and drop I have heard for ages. Enjoy.




New

Smokey Joe and the Kid - Trippin' (feat. Puppetmasterz)

The French swing-hoppers Smokey Joe and the Kid are releasing an EP in March. It will be called 'Nasty Tricks', and if their previous efforts and this bass-laden track is anything to go by it should be a banger!





New

DJ Twister - Ray Charles - Hit the Road Jack (DJ Twister edit)

I am seriously thinking about making this a kind of theme tune for the blog. The interweb is awash with remixes of this track, and most of them make me want to chew my own ears off, but this is an exception. Twister is a Polish DJ who describes himself as a Vinyl Cat on his Soundcloud profile. Sadly, his website is in Polish, and I can't make sense of it. Let's allow the track to do the talking, what?




Newish

Defunk - Retro Baby EP

This wee video was released a little while ago to promote the Canadian bass monster's EP release. It is a little mix of the tracks featured on the EP and gives a pretty good idea of the kind of retro-infused glitch-dubstep-wompathons that have made him a respected figure in the electro-swing scene. I include his work here as has just arrived in the UK for a tour. Get down to Barrio East in Shoreditch on Thursday 7th March to see him play out alongside Dutty Moonshine.




So, that's it for seven more days - hopefully that should satisfy your need for fresh swingin' beats. As always, if you think there is a tune I should include in the next edition of Jack's Top Tracks, get in touch via Facebook or Twitter.

Toodle-pip

Jack,

No comments:

Post a Comment